Zika virus infection and pregnancy
The Guidelines Project, Brazilian Medical Association 2016
This guideline is intended for physicians, nurses, public health officials and patients at risk of Zika virus infection, with the purpose of assessing the effects on the period of pregnancy and postpartum. The content includes recommendations for:
- During pregnancy, what is the association between Zika virus and microcephaly?’,
- What is the association between Zika virus and Guillain-Barré syndrome? Is it different during pregnancy? Can it affect the fetus?
- What are the symptoms in pregnant women with suspected Zika virus infection? Are they different than in the general population?
- How to make a definitive diagnosis of Zika virus infection during pregnancy.
- What is the treatment for Zika virus infection during pregnancy?
- How is follow-up of pregnant women infected with Zika virus done?
- What are the precautions to be taken with babies born from pregnant women with a history of Zika virus infection?
- What is the care required for newborns diagnosed with microcephaly during pregnancy?